“Here’s looking at you, kid”
“Unicameral, Unicameral, don’t tax me – tax that fellow behind the tree.” Valentine’s Day, the Revenue Committee hearings featured three property relief bills: LB314, LB497 and LB677. Each would lower property taxes by shifting a greater proportion of funding for K-12 education to sales and/or income taxes. When the hearings concluded after more than TEN HOURS, those fellows behind the tree had said quite enough.
Legislative hearings, on more than 700 well-intentioned bills, are in full swing. Revenue, Judiciary and Health and Human Services Committees are brutal.
The Department of Revenue reported another shortfall. January “Net” receipts are $32 million below the certified forecast. Only net corporate income is above forecast.
Interesting hearing schedule in the Transportation & Telecommunications Committee last Tuesday. First bill (LB378) would eliminate mandatory helmets for motorcycle riders. Followed by (LB612) that would allow memorialization of those who die on Nebraska roads with their pictures on blue triangular roadside signs.
The #1 nauseating hearing of the week year was LB449. It prohibits scleral tattooing (I had to look it up), unless preformed by a licensed healthcare professional. “Artists” use needles, scalpels, or other equipment to permanently mark the white of the human eye. Seriously! People drop by the mall for an eye tattoo? BLARGH!
Committee hearings this week:
- LB227 (Agriculture) Redefines terms and changes determination of a public or private nuisance under the Nebraska Right to Farm Act.
- LB371 (Transportation & Telecommunications) Expands provisions for ATV’s and UTV’s regarding controlled access highways and licensure for operators.
- LR5CA (Education) Constitutional amendment to limit the percentage of funding for schools that comes from property taxes. No more than 33% shall come from property taxes.
- LB182 (Revenue) A school board of any school district may impose a local option income surtax for property tax reduction; or building construction, remodeling, and site acquisition.
- LB276 (Revenue) Changes provisions relating to the taxation of income from certain small business corporations and limited liability companies.